A street lamp ignites your golden hair,
and your heels make
music
as they go by.
I wish my smile were
worth the dimes
I found in the alley down the street.
I wish I had the
strength
to wave at you from the curb.
maybe another bottle
of whiskey will get me
close to you,
or maybe enough
Early Times
can take me back to
her;
back to the street corner
back to the
red light
where I turned to look back at her --
and a car took her
away
If I could change that day
If I could change that day
If I could change that
day
but I'm not God;
so here I am:
I carry her ring in my pocket;
I play harmonica to the trees and
concrete;
I wash windows
for a buck
and I wish I had the strength
to wave at you from the curb --
all I need is a
smile
Friday, February 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Love this one!!
ReplyDelete